Monday 18 February 2013

A few portrait lovelies from Tate

Interesting sleeves and I also like her makeup..

Mary Rodgers, Lady Harington by Marcus Gheeraerts II, 1592



And this gentleman looks so ghostly that he must have helped nature with makeup. Shiny such, the effect is quite close to the makeup I made with Bismuth.

Portrait of a Man in Classical Dress, possibly Philip Herbert, 4th Earl of Pembroke by Marcus Gheeraerts II, c.1610
Portrait of a Lady, Called Elizabeth, Lady Tanfield, British school, 1615


Portrait of Susanna Temple, Later Lady Lister by Cornelius Johnson, 1620
 


Portrait of an Unknown Lady by Cornelius Johnson, 1646
One of the most adorable 17th century portraits I have seen.

Portrait of the Artist's Wife by William Dobson, c.1635-40

3 comments:

Lithia Black said...

I love the sleeves of the first picture. I'm more into early Italian renaissance but some of the British Tudor is really striking.

I hope you can come up with a Nuns cream without bismuth because the effect is so lovely. I really like the pearly slightly transcludent "glowing from within" effect.

/L

Isis said...

Lithia: Yes, some are pretty fantastic!

I'm going to mic Titaniumoxide with mica with rise powder and try it with that. And with real pearl powder, which isn't as shiny as one might think. :)

Witchcrafted Life said...

These are so magnificent. I've always had a deeply rooted passion for 17th and 18th century art. There seems to be such a depth of realness to the faces (and the body shapes) portrayed by the great masters of the day. I would love to have prints of some of these paintings on my walls one day.

♥ Jessica

*PS* Thank you very much for your lovely comment and caring get well wishes today, honey. I'm so sorry to hear that you're also fighting your way through the flu right now. completely agree, it is an especially brutal one. I'd say that honestly, this is the second worst flu I've ever had. I've never gotten a flu shot before, but after this experience, I really think I'm going to get my first one next fall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...